On establishment of the Company, its machinery included three digesters, hydraulic press and tobacco stretchers for sorting.
As the business was growing, the production line was upgraded with other devices, including leaf pneumatic conveyor, conditioners and cutting machines. In 1961, the first tobacco threshing machines in Poland were installed.
With each year, the Company was growing rapidly, acquiring new machines and equipment for raw tobacco processing. By 2004, the Company's main activities included purchasing and pre-processing of raw tobacco, and from that year it expanded its activities to smoking tobacco production.
Nowadays, the Company's modern production line allows to meet the needs of the most demanding customers.
From the Company's Chronicle:
„The first machines of the Production Division included:
1. three digesters
2.one hydraulic press with a set of press boxes
3. several hundreds of stretchers for sorting
The years 1951-1953 were a period of further development of the young industrial plant organization.
The production machinery was upgraded with further 6 digesters. The first cargo lift was put into operation, followed by commissioning of two additional hydraulic presses and the company's own transformer substation. (...) The first functional and organizational units of the young industrial plant emerged. The production division was divided into three basic production departments:
1. Preparation room – was the place where the first production phase took place, involving sorting of leaf bundles onto the wooden stretchers (...)
2. Digesters (...)
3. Reception room – the final stage of the production process, in which the fermented tobacco was subjected to the final conditioning, sorted into press boxes, then after-pressed, assembled into bales, weighed and transferred to storage.
The years 1954-1955 saw further internal and external expansion of the plant. (...) The production division acquired another cargo lift.
The year 1956 went down to history of the plant as the year of the first technical and industrial revolution and the first modernization of production and the process. Production equipment included also two modern German devices designed to equalize tobacco moisture upstream of the digesters the so-called containers.
The installation of conditioners redesigned the existing process by eliminating the sorting stretchers at the preparation room and sorting of leaf bundles at the reception room. A new conditioning chamber technology was the first such a technology countrywide. (...) Further three digesters and six conditioning chambers were installed, followed by an upgrade of the boiler room with erection of the second boiler.
With the expansion of the electricity, the production process became mechanized.
The production division modernization continued in the years 1957-1958.
The third conditioning chamber, manufactured in Poland, was installed. Manual pressing of bales downstream of the conditioning chamber was replaced with hydraulic presses with smaller dimensions and pressure values. (...) The existing wooden stretchers were replaced by metal frames, the prototype of which was devised at the plant.
In 1961, a set of German threshing machines adapted to tobacco threshing downstream of the conditioning chambers was installed.
At the same time, four machines for cutting and splitting leaf bundles, designed by ZK & BU Krakow, were installed.
1969 became another important date for the plant development with further modernization reflecting in positive achievements in the future production mechanization and its size.
The well-worn German conditioning chamber was replaced with high-performance dual-channel conditioner made by the Italian company "Garbuio". Simultaneously with the installation of the conditioner, the worn dust extraction equipment was replaced with modern multicyclones manufactured by ZK & BU, two new additional cutting-off machines were installed, while the obsolete hydraulic presses were replaced by modern oil presses from Puławy. The upgraded production line boosted the plant's production capacity.
In 1971, the decommissioned German threshing machines were upgraded. ZK & BU designers used the two-stage threshing machines to construct almost new three-stage leaf threshing line upstream of the conditioning chamber. In terms of the Polish threshing standards, the work proved successful at that stage.
The first year (1972) of the next two decades of the plant brought new technical and engineering solutions to be integrated into the production process. The upgraded threshing line production was put into operation. The combined foreign equipment and domestic technical solutions would serve until the next modernization in 1976.
(...) It was a memorable year of 1976. The year of the aforementioned production modernization distributed over two stages and the 25th anniversary of the plant establishment. By strange coincidence, the most extensive modernization of production somehow closed the first 25 years of the plant operation and strongly hallmarked the introduction of technical development for the next 25 years. A strange, yet symptomatic coincidence.
After the campaign in March 1975/1976 came to an end, the preparatory works started with dismantling of old equipment, reinforcing floors in production halls, and construction of high voltage power distribution station etc.
The first deliveries of the equipment imported from Italy arrived. From April after the end of the campaign, the whole effort of the technical and production division was directed at the modernization works. The workers and later on the assemblers from the Italian company "Comas" entered the site comprising 4 floors and the basement of the production building. The race against time began. The construction and assembly teams as well as the company's own staff embarked on the task to complete the first stage of modernization prior to the beginning of the fermentation and production campaign i.e. 31.10.1976.
On 22.07.1976, two Italian assemblers arrived to begin the installation of:
- single-tunnel conditioning chamber
- four automatic presses
The intensive works on modernization of cutters, pneumatic duct system, installation of dust collection equipment and other devices continued.
On the 1st of September, the basic construction and assembly works were completed, including:
- Installation dust extraction equipment
Assembly of UZM machines
- installation of conveyor belts for cutters
- construction works related to women's locker room furnishing.
The installation of the conditioner, presses, control cabinets and power supply system continued.
On 20.09.1976, the installers from "Comas" completed the assembly of the conditioner and automatic presses and on 22.09.1976 flew back to Italy.
The intensive works involving connection of devices to the electrical and heating systems were under way. On 14.10.1976, the mechanical start-up of the equipment covered by the first stage of modernization took place, followed by official commissioning of the modernized production lines.
From 16.10.1976 to 23.11.1976, the upgraded production lines were integrated into the process.
On 30.11.1976, the comprehensive acceptance procedure of the project entitled "Modernization of the Tobacco Fermentation Plant in Krasnystaw. Stage I" was held.
As a result of the completed modernization, the most burdensome 27 positions were eliminated, including the so-called tobacco stuffing (with hands and feet) into boxes, downstream of the conditioner i.e. approximately 6% of direct production staff. The installation of belt conveyors next to cutters made the work lighter for approx. 85 employees. Automatic presses reduced the number of staff required for baling by nearly 50% and also made the work for baling station workers easier. Total expenditures incurred during the first stage of modernization amounted to PLZ 50,525 thousand.
The year 1977 demanded even more efforts in connection with the second stage of the modernization. As expected, the new "Comas" production line combined with the domestic equipment reached the planned production capacity. However, the upgraded "Garbuio" line would require some redesign in the future to improve the working conditions.
From March, the shipments of components from ZK & BU for the prototype threshing machine began to arrive. After the campaign, the technical department crew proceeded to dismantle the existing low-efficiency threshing machine. Employees started to reinforce the floors for the future new press and the threshing machine, whereas the Italian press was adapted to packing bales into 200kg cartons. (...) The basic works of the second stage of modernization were completed successfully by 31.12.1977.
The mechanical and technological commissioning of the threshing machine would take place in the first quarter of 1978.
This concluded the first part of the 28-year history of the first socialist industrial plant in the region of Krasnystaw."